Match Reports (League & Cup)



IDFL League Cup Final, Wednesday 8th May 2013, Wadham Lodge

Having fallen at the last hurdle twice before, it proved to be third time lucky for the Harriers as second half strikes from Paul Shawyer and Mitchell Goodwin secured the League Cup for the Blues under the floodlights at Wadham Lodge. It's been a long time coming for the Harriers and he dream of silverware was finally realised when club captain Nick Shawyer held the League Cup aloft.

The Harriers found themselves in the unusual position of starting the final as favourites. The Blues were unbeaten in seven and the opposition came in the form of Division 1 side Eastside Rangers. However the lower league side had been on a strong run of their own and probably just shaded the first half proceedings rather than their Premier League counter parts. Whilst Eastside kept possession well, the Harriers looked solid in defence and happy to soak up pressure before hitting their opponents on the break. This is where the Blues looked at their most dangerous, with Pereira latching onto a diagonal ball from Diner before being edged out of a one on one situation. Half chances came and went for siblings Nick and Paul Shawyer before the best opportunity of the half presented itself to the Harriers. Again it was Pereira breaking beyond the last defender, the Eastside keeper excelled himself by first saving Pereira's original effort, before getting up quickly to smother Jabbari's follow up. At the other end, Eastside's best opportunity came just minutes later, when the Ranger's captain capitalised on a loose ball on the edge of the Blues box, firing a right foot volley towards goal which cannoned back off the base of the post with Prestedge rooted.

Whilst most would concede Eastside had been the better side in the first half, within minutes of the restart the Blues had the lead and it proved to be a hammer blow that the Division 1 side never looked like recovering from. Introduced just before half time, Amor's long throw was quickly a crucial factor when some poor defending from Eastside allowed Paul Shawyer to steal in and place a header beyond the Ranger's keeper. This turned the tide in the game, settled some nerves and saw the Blues play with an assurance and confidence which had been lacking for the majority of the first period. The Harriers came close to doubling their lead on the hour mark when Jabbari was quick to capitalise on some sloppy defending before lifting a lob over the keeper only for the ball to clip the bar and go out for a goal kick. However with twenty minutes remaining the Blues did finally double their lead following a swift breakaway. Having been released into the right channel, Pereira cut back in on his left foot to find Goodwin in the area who calmly took a touch before dispatching the ball into the bottom corner. It was no less than Goodwin deserved after a tireless man on the match performance at the heart of the Harriers midfield. Rangers looked largely ineffective up front in the second half but were almost presented with a lifeline with less than ten minutes remaining when Prestedge failed to clear after dwelling on a back pass. Fortunately for the Blues Prestedge redeemed himself by saving the resulting shot, which proved to be the only real save of note he had to make all evening. Eastside's frustrations threatened to boil over as the game wound down and became increasingly stop-start. However the referee eventually brought proceedings to a close and confirmed a memorable and historic night for Chingford Harriers Football Club!

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Diner, Birchnall, Denton, Goodwin, N.Shawyer(c), Paul Shawyer, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Amor, Wright, Stone

Goals: Paul Shawyer (47), Goodwin (70)



IDFL League Cup Semi-Final, Saturday 4th May 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers reached their third cup final in four seasons after a fiercely contested game at Parmiters. The Blues were much the better side for large parts of the game and wasted a number of fine chances to break the deadlock. The hosts eventually came out on top after getting the better of the League 2 side on penalties.

The Blues took a firm grip over proceeding during the first twenty minutes, creating two fine one on one opportunities for Pereira who was left frustrated by important saves from the Dagenham keeper. However after a strong opening from the hosts, Dagenham came more into the game. The visitors created one good opportunity when the Dagenham winger side stepped the challenges into the box before Prestedge narrowed the angle and smothered the opportunity, the rebound was then ballooned over the bar. However the Harriers remained largely untroubled for the rest of the first half, despite not being at their best. Amor's second half introduction gave the hosts an extra impetus, as well as taking control of the game once again, Amor's long throw also proved a useful weapon. Shawyer and Sparke-Reid both forced the Dagenham keeper into smart reaction saves from set pieces, whilst Ferdinand fired a header narrowly over. The Dagenham number 1 also thwarted a good opportunity for Denton and palmed a Pereira free kick over the bar. The visitors did little to threaten the Blues goal in the second half, but with both teams unable to break the dead lock, the game went to penalties.

Captain Nick Shawyer got the Blues off to the best possible start, netting his penalty, as did Sparke-Reid. Having scored their first, Dagenham made the first missed step as Prestedge kept out the second spot kick. However Goodwin was unable to secure the advantage as he placed his penalty wide and the visitors converted their third. Amor and Pereira held their nerve and converted their penalties before Dagenham fired their fifth penalty wide and handed the Blues the victory and a place in Wednesday's final against Eastside Rangers.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, N.Shawyer(c), Birchnall, Denton, Goodwin, Paul Shawyer, Ferdinand, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Amor, Wright



IDFL Prem, Saturday 20th April 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers continued their fine run of late season form with a well deserved and credible point against the league leaders at Parmiters. East London Academy arrived knowing a victory would seal the title, but the Blues had not read the script and more than warranted a point. Elsewhere however a 6-1 defeat for St Francis at the hands of Melbourne Sports meant that point was in fact enough to confirm East London Academy as Premier League Champions.

The Harriers had been on the receiving end of an 8-0 hammering when they travelled to the home of the league leaders earlier in the season. However the Blues were in the midst of a purple patch that had seen them secure their Premier League status and book a place in the League Cup Semi-Final. With the aforementioned semi-final just a couple of weeks away, the Blues were keen to maintain momentum and delay the visitors confirming their title success. The hosts showed great application and plenty of flair early on as they went toe to toe with the visitors, who were finding proceedings a great deal more difficult away from their 4G home pitch. Inevitably the league leaders quality began to shine through as they took control of the game, forcing the Blues to defend for a sustained period but without creating any clear cut chances. As the visitors frustrations began to show, the Harrier struck a significant blow when Jabbari's corner found the back of net just five minutes before the break, taking him level with Pereira in the goal scoring stakes on eleven a piece. This breathed renewed purpose into the visitors and they forced Prestedge into two key saves before the half time whistle.

The visitors continued to force the issue in the second half and were almost back on level terms quickly when a cross flashed across the six yard box only for the striker to miss the ball at the back post, colliding with the wood work in the process. Prestedge then almost presented the visitors with an equaliser after a poor goal kick fell at the feet of a striker, only to redeem himself by smothering the one on one opportunity. Club captain Nick Shawyer made a welcome return after 60 minutes in place of Wright, finally fit to return from injury and slotting into centre back. The returning Shawyer was then involved in a rare communication mix up with the impressive Diner, leading to a miscued cross curling into the top corner of the net to bring the league leaders level. Shortly after Diner was replaced to protect a minor knock with next weeks Semi-Final in mind. The visitors attempted to turn up the heat late on but tempers frayed as they were unable to force any notable chances. The Blues eventually secured an excellent point and maintained their momentum going into next weeks big cup game.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Paul Shawyer, Diner(c), Wright, Pereira, Denton, Birchnall, Ferdinand, Stone, Jabbari

Subs: N.Shawyer

Goals: Jabbari (41)



IDFL League Cup QF, Saturday 13th April 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers secured their fourth semi final appearance in as many seasons after dumping out fellow Premier League side Melbourne Sports in a pulsating cup tie at Parmiters. The Blues are now the only top flight side left in the competition, making them firm favourites to secure the first piece of silverware in the clubs history.

Despite a relatively poor run of results for Melbourne Sports in recent times, the league high flyers did not look short of confidence in the opening stages. In fact the visitors were largely on top for the first 15-20 minutes and certainly looked the more likely side to break the deadlock. However despite a couple of free headers from set pieces, Melbourne seemed to lack any real incisiveness as the Blues defended resolutely. The hosts first real attack saw Goodwin thread a lovely ball through for Stone to run on to, his attempted lob being turned away for a corner by the visitors goalkeeper. From the resulting corner the Harriers struck, with Diner netting his second goal in successive weeks, slamming home an unmarked volley from close range. With the visitors stunned, the Blues were quick to double their advantage in fortunate circumstances. Pereira spooned a loopy finish towards goal under pressure from a Melbourne defender, in the windy conditions the Melbourne keeper misjudged the flight and ultimately flapped at the ball which eventually found the back of the net. However there was nothing fortunate about the Harriers third, Baldock's strong run towards the box culminated in a cute ball inside to Pereira who was ruthless in smashing the ball into the top corner. That takes Pereira to eleven goals for the season and one ahead of Jabbari in the race to be the clubs top scorer. Melbourne's players looked dejected as they trudged off at half time.

Despite a commanding lead and one foot in semi final, the Blues were conscious of not becoming complacent in the second half. The game really should have been over ten minutes into the second half when Jabbari found himself one on one with the Melbourne number one. With the keeper in no mans land Jabbari measured a lob only for it to land marginally wide. With twenty minutes remaining the visitors gained a life line, dispossessing Sparke-Reid on the edge of the Blues box before squaring the ball for an easy tap in. The Harriers came close to re-establishing their three goal lead with ten minutes remaining, Baldock striking the bar with a free header from a corner. The Blues were then made to sweat late on as Melbourne pulled back a second, netting a header from a long throw which had been a constant threat through out the game. Fortunately for the hosts there were no more scares and they held on to book their place in the League Cup semi final away to Euro Dagenham Reserves.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Diner(c), Nagle, Denton, Birchnall, Goodwin, Paul Shawyer, Stone, Pereira

Subs: Jabbari, Baldock

Goals: Diner (23), Pereira (29, 36)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 6th April 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers made their Premier League status all but safe as they took maximum point in a goal fest at Parmiters.

Having taken an early lead through Pereira, the Blues were quickly pegged back before DM took the lead. Having squandered a 2-0 lead in the away fixture earlier in the season, the Harriers were in no mood to let history repeat itself. Ferdinand's smart finish brought the Blues back on level terms before Pereira's second of the afternoon put the them back in front. Diner converted Amor's long throw to give the home side a two goal cushion only for the visitors to pull another one back before half time.

Goodwin's first goal of the season gave the Blues the perfect start to the second half only for DM to again reduce the deficit to one. However from here on in the Harriers took control and never looked back. Denton's strike made it 6-4 before Pereira's sweet free kick opened up a three goal cushion, effectively securing the points along with the strikers hat trick. Amor put extra shine on the scoreline late on with his first of the season, beating a number of players with a run from the half way line before cooly slotting past the DM keeper.

CHFC: Sparke-Reid, Peter Shawyer, Amor, Diner(c), Wright, Nagle, Birchnall, Goodwin, Paul Shawyer, Ferdinand, Pereira

Subs: Denton

Goals: Pereira (7, 28, 73), Ferdinand (22), Diner (39), Goodwin (50), Denton (61), Amor (80)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 30th March 2013, Wanstead Flats

A Paul Shawyer goal deep into injury time secured a precious point for the Blues, a point that may go a long way to securing the club's Premier League status. This capped a tremendous turnaround as the Harriers came from two goals down with only ten men to stun the title contenders.

The Blues arrived at Wanstead Flats keen to bury memories of a 7-0 drubbing in the East Ham Memorial Cup earlier in the season at the hands of St Francis. The Harriers showed plenty of fight and endeavour in the opening exchanges on a less than ideal playing surface, with Goodwin playing a prominent role in the centre of midfield. However the Harriers found it hard to create any clear cut openings and as the half wore on the hosts took a greater hold over the game. Despite the lion's share of possession, St Francis only carved out one chance of note. After some neat work down their left flank a through ball released the the winger into the box only for Prestedge to smother his attempted chip finish. As the pressure continued to build, the Blues were thankful for the half time whistle and to go into the break all square.

The second half continued in the same fashion but things soon became worse for the visitors as they lost the influential Goodwin to injury. With no substitutes, the Harriers were left to continue with only ten men. Having defended resolutely, the Harriers resistance was eventually broken when Prestedge inexplicably palmed a looping header into the net just after the hour mark. The visitors went on to take full advantage, quickly doubling their lead with a unstoppable riffled effort from an angle and could have been out of sight by the seventy minute mark as a goal mouth scramble saw a close range effort hit the post. Somehow the Harriers found a second wind and went on the offensive looking for a way back into the game, and they found one with less than ten minutes remaining. Pereira's cross come shot hit an arm in the penalty are and Paul Shawyer stepped up to convert the penalty. The Blues then grabbed an arguably deserved equaliser just seconds before the final whistle. Stone's crunching tackle in the centre of the park released Birchnall, who advanced towards the St Francis box before slipping a ball through to Paul Shawyer to calmly slot past the hosts keeper.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Diner(c), Birchnall, Pereira, Paul Shawyer, Goodwin, Ferdinand, Stone, Jabbari

Goals: Paul Shawyer (81 pen, 93)



IDFL Premier Double Header, Saturday 16th March 2013, Clayhall Park

The Harriers claimed two hugely significant victories over fellow league strugglers Glendale in the proverbial twelve pointer at Clayhall Park. Goals from Jabbari in either game plus a strike from Pereira secured six vital points for the Blues, which should ensure Premier League survival for the Chingford outfit.

With the conditions less than ideal, both teams faced a real challenge to play attractive football. However the Harriers attempted to stay true to their passing brand of football, whilst the home side looked most comfortable operating on the break, using long diagonal balls to stretch the play. The visitors looked the more assured of the two sides, but the home created the most notable opportunity of the first half, with Prestedge making a closer range save after a cut back from the byline. Jabbari meanwhile had the best chance for the Blues, but was thwarted by the Glendale goalkeeper as he attempted to latch on to a through ball. The Harriers superior possession eventually told half way through the second period, an incisive move down the right flank culminated in Paul Shawyer's cross which was converted by Jabbari with the outside of his right foot. The Blues were then resolute and defensively strong to limit the hosts to half chances as they searched for a late equaliser which never materialised.

Glendale came out in the second game with greater purpose and proceeded to dominate the opening twenty minutes of the second game, hitting the outside of the post after a teasing cross before seeing Prestedge tip a free kick onto the bar. Having absorbed a great deal of pressure, the Harriers struck with a goal of genuine quality to take the lead against the run of play. Stone took the ball down on the right flank before clipping a delicious left footed pass over the top, splitting the defence to find Jabbari who had beaten the offside trap. A perfect first touch put the ball into his path before he chipped the on rushing keeper to net his 10th goal of the season. This settled the Blues and early in the second half they doubled their lead, Stone was again the creator, rolling the ball into Pereira's path to slot home into the bottom corner. Stone should have capped an impressive display with a goal of his own but fired wide with his weaker right foot with the goal gaping. The home side continued to look a more dangerous prospect in the second game and the Blues were spared a nervous last five minutes when Prestedge pushed a header onto the post to maintain the two goal advantage.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Diner(c), Birchnall, Denton, Paul Shawyer, Goodwin, Ferdinand, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Wright, Stone

Goals: Game 1 - Jabbari (43) Game 2 - Jabbari (22), Pereira (39)


IDFL Premier Double Header, Saturday 9th March 2013, Hainault Recreation Ground, Forest Road

The Blues suffered their first competitive defeats at the hands of familiar foes AAH Romford as their fight for survival took a significant blow. The Blues suffered a tight 1-0 defeat in the first game of the double header before a second half capitulation in the second game accounted for a heavy defeat.

The first game turned out to be typical of the encounters between the two teams in the past; tight with few chances and a midfield battle ensuing for large parts of the game. However Prestedge was called into action either side of half time to make smart saves to his left to keep the score deadlocked at 0-0. The breakthrough came for the home side with just under a quarter of an hour remaining, a corner was recycled back to the corner taker and whilst the Blues defence called for offside, the ball came back into the box and a looping header found the top corner of the net. There was still time for the Blues to try and claim a point and the hosts had their keeper to thank after a fantastic double save secured the points just minutes before the final whistle, first tipping Birchnall's dipping volley onto the bar before getting up to save the rebound from Paul Shawyer.

The home side took a clear psychological advantage into the second game and their ariel superiority began to come the fore as they were able to deliver more balls into the Harriers box. A delightful glanced header put Romford ahead and they doubled their lead before half time with a quick break away and powerful finish which beat Prestedge despite getting a hand to the ball. The Blues resolve was well and truely broken in a ten minute period at the start of the second half as the hosts ran rampant, netting three goals in the quick succession, the pick of the bunch a curling right footed effort from the edge of the box. The Blues did have a chance for a consolation after Paul was felled in the box, however the Romford keeper was again on top form to save Jabbari's penalty and the subsequent follow up. A thumping volley with the last kick of the game put extra gloss on the scoreline, with Romford securing a crushing 7-0 victory.

CHFC: Prestedge, Ferdinand, Sparke-Reid, Diner(c), Wright, Peter Shawyer, Amor, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Nagle, Jabbari

Subs: Denton



IDFL Premier Double Header, Saturday 2nd March 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers took a significant step towards Premier League survival as they claimed all six points from their double header with rock bottom Eastfield. This lifts the Blues to eighth in the league and eases their relegation worries with eight league games left to play.

Despite taking command of proceedings in the early stages, the Blues found it hard to break down visitors who were defending stubbornly. However the breakthrough eventually came for the hosts with a move of genuine quality, Birchnall was released into the right channel before delivering a wicked ball to the back post for Denton to apply the finishing touch. However the Harriers were lucky to go into the break ahead after the Eastfield striker inexplicably sliced the ball on the bar from all of two yards with an open goal at his mercy. The Blues proceeded to take full advantage in the second half, doubling their lead within minutes of the re-start as Nagle converted Amor's long throw with a powerful header. Jabbari made an immediate impact coming off the bench to apply the finishing touch to a Baldock cross after an incisive move from the home side. Baldock then rounded off the scoring himself with an audacious effort from range that curled into the net with the Eastfiled keeper stranded.

Despite what turned out to be a fairly comfortable victory for the Blues, the second game of the double header turned out to be a completely different affair. The Harriers were unable to discover their cutting edge but still retained the bulk of possession and the visitors remained largely unthreatening. However the breakthrough came with a quarter of an hour remaining, Amor's free kick into the opposition box was allowed to bounce and Baldock made the most of it to flick a header over the advancing Eastfield keeper. There was a late scare for the Blues but Prestedge was able to smother the effort from a loose ball to ensure the Harriers importantly took all six points.

CHFC: Prestedge, Ferdinand, Amor, Diner(c), Wright, Peter Shawyer, Goodwin, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Denton, Jabbari

Subs: Baldock, Nagle

Goals: Game 1 - Denton (19), Nagle (34), Jabbari (44), Baldock (50). Game 2 - Baldock (46)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 23rd February 2013, Parmiters

The Blues endured an infuriating afternoon at the hands of Wanstead Hippos, as some poor finishing cost the hosts in a game they controlled for long periods. This defeat sees the Harriers slip into the relegation zone having conceded 12 goals in two games with no reply, leaving the Blues plenty to do to ensure Premier League survival over the remaining weeks of the season.

The Harriers only had a bare eleven available for this fixture but took to the field with plenty of energy, and playing a narrow compact formation they dominated the early proceedings. However, with the host having only fashioned a number of half chances and set pieces, the visitors found a goal against the run of play, as a rebound strike squirmed its way past two Blues defenders on the goal line. With the lead came the initiative for the visitors as they took the game to the Harriers, Prestedge was called into action to make a couple of close range saves with his legs to keep the score at 1-0. The Hippos made their pressure tell, taking a two goal lead into the break after they were first to react to Prestedge's initial save. However the Blues should have halved deficit just before the half time whistle, when the Hippos keeper made an important one on one save from Pereira's effort.

Having made a slight tactical change at the break, the hosts re-established a measure of control on the game as they dictated the pace of the game, with the Hippos happy to sit, working hard to deny the Harriers space. Despite the visitors work ethic, the Harriers created some excellent chances, with Jabbari firing a left foot shot straight down the keepers' throat within minutes of the restart. Pereira was again guilty of a pivotal miss as some excellent inter play culminated in the unmarked Blues striker tamely striking straight at the Hippos keeper. Having soaked up a fair amount of pressure, the Wanstead side made the Harriers pay with two quick fire break away goals to settle the game. The first a cool one on one finish, the second a 20 yard rocket which found the top corner after the Hippos were afforded too much space on the edge of the Blues box.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner(c), Sparke-Reid, Ferdinand, Denton, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Jabbari, Stone



IDFL League Cup, Saturday 9th February 2013, Wadham Lodge

The Harriers kept their hopes of silverware alive by progressing to the quarter finals of the League Cup after victory over fellow league strugglers Eastfield. With the Blues season threatening to turn into little more than a relegation fight, the Harriers will be glad of the distraction as the club continues its search for the first trophy in it's history. As one of only three Premier League sides left in the competition, the Blues are amongst the favourites, they now face an all Premier League tie away at William Fitt.

The Blues travelled with a strong squad, welcoming back a number of absentees, the same could not be said for the hosts. The Harriers dominated early proceedings with plenty of possession, and it came as little surprise when they took the lead after a quarter of an hour. Stone grabbed his first goal of the year, simply nodding home Jabbari's corner in front of the Eastfield keeper. Within five minutes Stone had doubled his tally for the season, confidently side footing home after some excellent work from Denton down the left. The Harriers then looked to have things wrapped up on the 35 minute mark, Jabbari's mis-cued shot falling perfectly into the path of birthday boy Dave Birchnall to slide home a third.

The second half proved to be a completely different game as the hosts pulled back a goal within the hour through from a free kick that Prestedge should have kept out. This galvanised Eastfield and they quickly added a second, an unchallenged header from a corner creating an inquest amongst the Blues defenders. However, with the game heading towards a frantic last quarter of an hour, the visitors re-established a two goal lead as Jabbari latched on to a Birchnall through ball before slotting pack the Eastfield keeper. The Harriers proceeded to kill the home side's momentum in the closing stage, securing a place in the quarter finals.



IDFL Premier, Saturday 2nd February 2013, Langdon School

The Blues travelled to the home of the league leaders off the back of two very impressive draws against Melbourne Sports and East Londoners. However, two weeks without a game as a result of recent weather conditions meant less than ideal preparation, the Blues were also without regulars Sparke-Reid, Pereira and Peter Shawyer.

After an encouraging opening quarter of an hour for the Harriers, the hosts class began to tell, taking the lead after some confusion in the Blues defence with a sweet left foot strike. The league leaders went on to add to the deficit, with the right midfielder twice cutting in on his favoured left foot to find the back of the net. At the other end, Jabbari spurned an opportunity as he lifted his one on one effort over the on rushing keeper, but unfortunately for the visitors, narrowly wide. There can be no doubting the effort and attitude of the visitors through out the game, but the speed and precision with which East London counter attacked soon saw them adding to their 3-0 half time lead. Despite tiring, the Blues continued to look for a consolation to take away from the game, however the hosts were ruthless in picking the Harriers off. The home side eventually ran out 8-0 winners and despite a comprehensive display, the scoreline was a bit harsh on the Blues.

CHFC: Prestedge, Wright, Diner, Sparke-Reid, Ferdinand, Denton, N.Shawyer(c), Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Jabbari, Stone

Subs: Pereira, Peter Shawyer

Goals: Stone (16, 21), Birchnall (35), Jabbari (71)

CHFC: Prestedge, Wright, Diner, Goodwin, Birchnall, Denton, N.Shawyer(c), Paul Shawyer, Ferdinand, Jabbari, Stone

Subs: Nagle



IDFL Premier, Saturday 12th January 2013, Parmiters

The Blues picked up another well earned point as they returned to action for the first time in 2013, the point were shared after an entertaining game with East Londoners at Parmiters.

The Blues found themselves with a two goal deficit to deal with early on as the visitors took full advantage of a slow start from the hosts. However, Peter Shawyer pulled one back, with the assist coming from sibling Paul, before a rare Diner strike drew the scores level heading into half time. The Harriers had operated on the break for large parts of the game, and two break away goals completed a major turn around in the second half. Goal scorer Peter Shawyer turned provider, releasing Jabbari to put the Blues ahead, Denton then gave the hosts breathing space from Stone's assist with just a quarter of an hour remaining. Unfortunately for the Blues, what appeared to be a certain 3 points quickly slipped through their fingers as the visitors hit back with two quick fire goals with ten minutes still remaining. Despite some half chances for both sides in the closing stages, the spoils were eventually shared.

CHFC: Drake, Peter Shawyer, Diner, Sparke-Reid, Wright, Denton, N.Shawyer(c), Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Ferdinand, Jabbari

Subs: Stone

Goals: Peter Shawyer (28), Diner (41), Jabbari (59), Denton (75)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 8th December 2012, Parmiters

The Blues went into the winter break with a very credible point against second place Melbourne Sports, following a hard fought draw at Parmiters. Having taken the lead through Denton early on, the Blues then fell behind before Pereira secured the Blues a point with a well taken strike in the 72nd minute.

The Harriers slumped to a 6-2 defeat against today's visitors earlier in the season after taking an early lead, and the Blues again took the early initiative in this encounter. Pereira's close control and through ball from the inside right found Denton free in the left channel, Denton ran through to calmly slot past the advancing Melbourne keeper. In stark contrast to the previous meeting, the Blues exerted a measure on control over the visitors for a large majority of the half restricting them to a handful of speculative efforts and half chances. However the visitors were level going into the break to a direct free kick which Prestedge should have kept out.

Melbourne came back out in the second half with the bit between their teeth and were almost ahead within the hour. The Melbourne number found himself through on goal down the left channel, only for Prestedge to smother his effort and keep the scores all level. However the visitors were ahead shortly after; Prestedge tipped a looping deflected shot on to the bar, only for the Blues back line to switch off, allowing the easiest of tap ins for the Melbourne player following up. But the Harriers did not shrink under the pressure from the league high flyers. Stone's introduction from the bench had posed a different problem for the Melbourne defeders, and it was his hold up play and pass which lead to Pereira netting his 5th of the campaign with an excellent half volley. Both sides had opportunities in the final quarter of an hour to take all three points, but eventually the spoils were shared in what was a well deserved point for both sides.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, Sparke-Reid, Ferdinand, Denton, N.Shawyer(c), Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Wright, Stone

Goals: Denton (8), Pereira (72)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 1st December 2012, Langdon School, East Ham

The Harriers missed a golden opportunity to climb the table and record back to back league victories after surrendering a 2-0 half time lead to fellow strugglers DM United. The Blues were on course to leap frog the hosts in the table until four second half goals completed a superb comeback for the East Ham based outfit.

Club captain and last years top scorer Nick Shawyer has spent much of the early season at the heart of the defence as the Blues have adjusted to loss of centre back regular Luke Paskell. However with the welcome return of Goodwin to the side, Shawyer found himself in his preferred centre midfield role and was at the heart of much of the good work that saw the visitors take a two goal lead in the opening 25 minutes. Having already rattled the woodwork with a header, the skipper returned to the score sheet for the first time this season after a quarter of an hour, cooly converting a penalty after sibling Paul had been bundled over in the box. The Harriers midfielder doubled his account for the season soon after, dispatching a 20 yard volley into the top corner from a DM clearance. However the Blues lost their grip on proceedings as the half went on, with the home side looking dangerous on the counter.

The visitors may have counted themselves lucky to still be 2-0 to the good going into the second half. However the two goal lead was halved within minutes of the restart, sloppy work at the back allowed the DM forward to beat two men before riffling a shot in which Prestedge will have been disappointed to have not kept out. This galvanised the home side and they were level by the hour mark, the DM forward doubled his account for the afternoon following a maizy run and thumping left foot finish. There was a response from visitors, with Jabbari and Sparke-Reid missing good opportunities after being played through one on one with the home keeper. However it was the home side who got their noses in front for the first time in the match, tapping home the rebound from the initial header. The Blues applied the pressure late on in search of an equaliser but left themselves exposed at the back. The points were in the bag for the home side minutes from the end as a counter attack saw the DM forward run through on goal, rounding Prestedge to net his hat trick.

CHFC: Sparke-Reid, Wright, Diner, Goodwin, Birchnall, Pereira, Ferdinand, N.Shawyer(c), Paul Shawyer, Denton, Jabbari

Subs: Prestedge

Goals: N.Shawyer (pen 14, 21)



IDFL Premier, Saturday 17th November 2012, Parmiters

First half braces from Pereira and Jabbari ensured the Harriers secured their first league win of the season at Parmiters. The Blues were less clinical in the second half, with both goal scorers missing good chances to secure hat tricks. The visitors ill discipline was enough to account for a stop start second half, with the Harriers running out comfortable winners.

The Blues had experienced a tough opening to their league programme, with three of their four games coming against the leagues' front runners. However, their next three fixtures pitted the Blues against the teams around them, before a return fixture against current league leaders Melbourne Sports prior to the Christmas break. With points over the coming weeks imperative to the Harriers cementing their place in the division, the hosts got off to a bright start. Pereira put the Blues ahead within ten minutes, converting Paul Shawyer's cross with a excellent right footed volley. Before the twenty minute mark, Pereira had grabbed a second and his fourth of the season, finding the bottom corner after being released by a cheeky back heel from Jabbari. Soon it was Jabbari's turn to get in on the act, beating the keeper from close range from Paul Shawyer's through ball. With barely thirty minutes gone, the hosts appeared to have the points sewn up, Jabbari crashing home his fifth of the season from Denton's cut back, leaving the visitors demoralised as the two teams went into the break.

There proved to be little respite for the visitors in the second half, as the Blues continued to create chances. However, the hosts were wasteful, with Jabbari and Pereira both wasting golden opportunities to secure hat tricks on an afternoon where they both looked a constant threat. Despite having offered next to no attacking threat for the best part of an hour, the visitors got on the scoresheet after Denton was penalised harshly for handball in the area, the Fitt skipper converted the resulting penalty. However, his afternoon was cut short minutes later, receiving a second yellow for dissent, and subsequently his marching orders. The game descended into a stop start affair late on, with the visitors frustration increasing, they were lucky to not see further players receive red cards. However the Blues demonstrated great discipline in difficult condition, showing impeccable behaviour as they secured their first league victory of the season.

CHFC: Prestedge, Wright, Diner, N.Shawyer(c), Denton, Peter Shawyer, Baldock, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Jabbari

Goals: Pereira (7,18), Jabbari (27,36)



Fenton Cup Round 2, Saturday 3rd November 2012, Wanstead Flats - Harrow Road

The Harriers suffered a second cup exit in as many weeks at the hands of Division 1's Forest United Reserves following a penalty shoot out. The Blues were below par for large parts of the afternoon, but showed enough quality to recover from 2-0 and almost snatch a victory in normal time. However two penalty misses were enough to end the Harriers hope of a sustained cup run.

The Blues began the game in an assured manner, keeping the ball well and making their opponents work hard to win the ball. However the visitors failed to trouble the hosts keeper with any major openings, with only a few half chances from set pieces to speak of. The home side took the lead against the run of play with 25 minutes gone, the host's left winger made a penetrating run into the box before finding some space to rifle a left foot shot into the net. This brought a new found belief to the home sides play, and they began to keep more possession and show more attacking intent. The Blues continued to probe, with Baldock testing the Forest keeper twice from range.

The half time break allowed the Harriers to regroup and they started the second half quickly as the began to again apply some pressure on the home side. However the Blues hopes of a revival were dealt a blow after 55 minutes, Diner chopped down the Forest forward in the box and the resulting spot kick was emphatically dispatched. It took the Blues 15 minutes to pull a goal back, Jabbari nicked the ball off the centre back and fed Baldock to net his first for the club with a swerving effort from distance. This shifted the momentum of proceedings, with the home side sitting and operating on the break whilst the Blues dominated the possession. The home side had a goal correctly ruled out for offside, whilst Prestedge foiled two Forest counter attacks. The Harriers got themselves back on level terms with little over ten minutes left, Nick Shawyer flicked on Baldock's long throw at the near post for brother Paul to tap home at the back post. The Blues came forward wave after wave in the closing stages in search of a winner, but without finding an opening.

The penalty shoot out began badly for the visitors, after the home side converted their opening spot kick, the usually reliable Nick Shaywer saw his penalty saved. Forest extended their lead with their second penalty, whilst Sparke-Reid got the Blues off the mark with a cool finish. Prestedge gave the Blues hope by saving the next Forest spot kick, Jabbari then followed up to level the scores. Forest again nudged ahead with their fourth penalty, unfortunately for the visitors, Baldock then stepped up to fire his effort over the bar and give the home side the chance to seal victory. Despite Prestedge getting a hand to the ball, the fifth Forest penalty found the back of the net to secure the home side's passage into the third round.

CHFC: Prestedge, Denton, Diner, N.Shawyer(c), Birchnall, Peter Shawyer, Baldock, Sparke-Reid, Paul Shawyer, Ferdinand, Jabbari

Subs: Wright

Goals: Baldock (68), Paul Shawyer (78)



East Ham Memorial Cup Round 1, Saturday 27th October 2012, Wanstead Flats - Harrow Road

The Blues endured a torrid afternoon at the hands of St Francis after some late availability problems meant the Harriers took to the field with only ten men. It was an East Ham Memorial Cup debut to forget for the Blues, with a flood of goals coming after the 60 minute mark following some resolute defending from the visitors.

The Blues set themselves out early to be hard to break down, with two banks of four working hard to put the pressure on the home side. However the visitors found themselves a goal down after a quarter of an hour due to some sloppy set piece defending, a free header from a corner finding the back of the net. Despite the lion's share of possession, the hosts created little in the way of clear cut opportunities in the opening 45 minutes, the only other chance of note coming from the penalty spot after Diner was penalised for a very dubious hand ball. However Prestedge proceeded to save the penalty and the subsequent follow up effort to maintain just a single goals deficit going into half time.

The Blues continued to conduct an impressive rearguard in the early stages of the second half. Having seen precious little in the way of attacking intent in the first period, the visitors created some encouraging opening through Paul Shawyer and Pereira. Unfortunately for the Blues, their resistance was again broken just after the hour mark, a sharp cut back and a clinical finish making the score 2-0. A third goal quickly followed which seemed to break the brave spirit shown by the Blues in the opening 60 minutes. This paved the way for further late goals as the home side pressed home their advantage, tiredness leading to some sloppy mistakes. The pick of the hosts goals coming from a swerving volley from the edge of the area.

CHFC: Prestedge, Ferdinand, Diner, N.Shawyer(c), Peter Shawyer, Pereira, Sparke-Reid, Paul Shawyer, Jabbari



IDFL Premier League, Saturday 20th October 2012, Fairlop Oaks

The Blues squandered an early lead and fell foul to some quality finishing as they slipped to a third straight league defeat away to Melbourne Sports. The Harriers are still without a league win this term and find themselves in the bottom half of the table with just a point from four games.

The afternoon started well for the visitors, taking an early lead after some good work from Paul Shawyer down the right, his neat cut back was confidently dispatched by Jabbari. The Blues proceeded to dominate the opening 20 minutes, with the home side chasing shadows. However, an injury to Birchnall broke the visitors rhythm and allowed the home side to find a footing in the game. Having failed to press home their early dominance, the Harriers were punished after 25 minutes, a quick break away and a clinical finish from the Melbourne number 9 levelling the scores. Within 5 minutes of the equaliser, the game was turned on its head and the home side were ahead. Again the Melbourne number 9 was the scorer, wriggling past a couple of challenges into the box, his deflected shot wrong footing Prestedge in the Harriers goal. Things went from bad to worse for the visitors before the break. A corner swung into the Blues box found a white head only to crash back off the bar, however the rebound from the edge of the box was a rocket, cruising into the top corner for 3-1.

With no subs available, the Blues knew they had to dig deep and the next goal would be crucial. Unfortunately for the Harriers, it was the home side who stretched their lead just five minutes into the second half, with Peter Shawyer putting into his own net from a teasing cross. However the Blues were quick to respond, reducing the deficit back to two within a minute. A strong run down the right from Sparke-Reid culminated in a pin point cross and clinical finish from Jabbari into the far corner, Jabbari's third of the season. This was as good as it got for the visitors, any signs of a Harriers fightback were put to rest after Prestedge failed to mop up at the back, presenting the the Melbourne number 9 with the easiest of tasks to secure his hat trick. The Blues were reduced to 10 men late on as Denton withdrew with an injury. The home side went on to take full advantage in the closing stages as they stretched their lead, an outrageous strike-come lob finding the top corner from all of 25 yards to round of the afternoons scoring.

CHFC: Prestedge, Wright, Diner, Drage, Birchnall, Sparke-Reid, N.Shawyer(c), Denton, Pereira, Ferdinand, Stone

Subs: Jabbari, Amor

Goals: Sparke-Reid (75), Drage (82)


IDFL Premier League, Saturday 29th September 2012, Flander's Playing Fields

The Blues wait for a victory over league rivals East Londoners goes on after a below strength Harriers squad came away empty handed from their trip to Flander's Playing Fields in East Ham. The visitors were second best for much of the encounter as the home side ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

The two teams knew each other well going into this early season encounter, with the visitors looking the brighter as they enjoyed possession in key area in the opening 15 minutes. The Blues looked busy going forward, with Paul Shawyer and Pereira causing the home keeper to make regulation saves, whilst Ferdinand wasted a presentable chance as he fluffed his lines with a back post header. After the intial burst from the Blues, the home side took over proceedings with good possession and neat one and two touch football, the East Londoners' play maker pulling all the strings from the centre of midfield. The hosts took a deserved lead in controversial circumstances after 25 minutes as the number 9 appeared to control the cross with the aid of an arm, but with no whistle he calmly side stepped a challenge before slotting past Prestedge from 6 yards. The Blues looked to regroup but it was the team in claret and blue who struck a significant blow just minutes before the break. The hosts midfield playmaker was afforded too much room on the edge of the area and was allowed to fire off a shot which looked to be heading wide, only for it to take a big deflection off Peter Shawyer and find the net to send the teams into the interval at 2-0.

With a big effort required from the visitors, Amor and N.Shawyer pushed into midfield having occupied the centre of defence in the absense of first choice centre backs Drage and Diner. This gave the Harriers an added impetus in the centre of the park and put more pressure on the home midfield who had enjoyed periods of comfortable possession in the first half. N.Shawyer almost found a response for the Harriers, only for his goal bound header to hit a defender on the line and loop out for a corner. The Blues also had further chances through their captain, not making the best use of 25 free kick and not getting the right connection on a header and a swift break away. However, the home side had remainded dangerous going forward with Prestedge having already made a smart one on one save and having a goal ruled out for offside. Prestedge was not able to repeat the trick with 15 minutes to go as the Londoners' forward came from deep to latch onto a through ball and beat the Harriers off side trap, chipping the ball over the Blues keeper to make it 3-0. N.Shawyer should have grabbed a late consolation for the Blues but was denied by the Londoners' keeper, ensuring a clean sheet for the home side who throughly deserved the three points.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Amor, N.Shawyer(c), Wright, Ferdinand, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer(c), Denton, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Stone



IDFL Premier League, Saturday 15th September 2012, Wanstead Flats

The Blues got their new season under way with a well deserved point away against league new comers Wanstead Hippos. However it took two late goals to earn the Harriers a draw, recovering from 2-0 down after they were less than clinical in the first hour of the game.

The visitors looked bright early on with Pereira delivering some dangerous set pieces into the hosts box, but the home side soon began to see more of the ball, looking calm and assured in possession. After a combination of Prestedge and Diner kept the home side at bay following a goal mouth scramble, the Hippos took the lead through a quick counter attack after 15 minutes. Having robbed the Blues of possession in midfield an angled through ball split the Harriers defence for the Hippos forward to chase down the right flank. The home striker beat an on rushing Prestedge to the ball and did well to progress into the box and calmly slot past Diner on the goal line. The Blues had opportunities to level before the break with Sparke-Reid flashing a right foot shot just wide of the right hand post, meanwhile Ferdinand got too much on a flick header from a corner after finding himself unmarked at the front post.

The Harriers carried their momentum into the second half and were unlucky to not draw level when the hosts keeper made a top reaction save to deny Shawyer. Unfortunately for the visitors, another Hippos breakaway saw them slip two goals behind. A cross from the left finding the number 9 free between two Blues defenders to head back across goal into the far corner. Despite the scoreline, the Harriers continued to create chances, with Jabbari spurning a header from a corner and Stone lifting a guilt edge chance wide after a mistake from the hosts defender. But the Blues eventually found reward for their efforts when Shawyer stole the ball in midfield before sliding Sparke-Reid through on 75 minutes to lash a left foot shot across the keeper and into the net. The visitors comeback was complete just seven minutes later as Drage capped a commanding debut at centre back by converting Amor's long throw with a controlled header. The Harriers had chances to find a winner following a flurry of corners and set pieces in the closing stages but were unable to make them count. The game eventually came to a close with a well deserved point for both sides.

CHFC: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, N.Shawyer(c), Denton, Baldock, Sparke-Reid, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Jabbari

Goals: Jabbari (4,58)



IDFL Fenton Cup Round 1, Saturday 13th October 2012, Parmiters

The Blues recorded their first win of the season with a comfortable win over division two outfit Leyton Green. In booking their place in the second round of the Fenton Cup, the Harriers set up an away trip to division one side Forest United Reserves on November 3rd.

Despite enduring a tough start to the season, the Blues were not lacking in confidence as they were quick to take control of proceedings. The hosts were much the better side at keeping possession as the visitors struggled to cope with the Blues brand of passing football. With the majority of proceeding taking place in the Leyton Green half, chances began to fall increasingly to the players in Blue whilst the division 2 side found it tough to carve out any attacking openings. Inevitably it was the home side who drew first blood just after the 20 minute mark. Sparke-Reid slid the ball through for Jabbari on the inside right, his shot across goal deflecting off a retreating Green defender and finding the net. With their noses in front, the Blues continued to dominate the game, with solid defending leaving Prestedge largely redundant in the Harriers goal. The home side doubled their advantage before half time, N.Shawyer's teasing cross from the right finding Pereira in the box to slam home for the Blues second.

The second half picked up where the first left off, with the Premier League side well in control of proceedings. The Blues proceeded to stretch their lead within just ten minutes of the restart. Pereira's set piece delivery into the Green box found Jabbari totally unmarked at the back post, leaving him the simple task of guiding his header back across the goalkeeper to all but secure the game. The Blues had further chances to extend their lead, with another headed chance for Jabbari the pick of the bunch. However it took another 20 minutes for the Blues to secure a comprehensive scoreline, Ferdinand's driven effort beating the keeper and finding the corner of from 20 yards. The visitors had found the home defence in resolute mood all afternoon, but did threaten the Blues' first clean sheet of the season late on with Prestedge making his only notable save of the match.

CHFC: Prestedge, Denton, Diner, Drage, Birchnall, Paul Shawyer, N.Shawyer(c), Sparke-Reid, Adam Ferdinand, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Wright

Goals: O.G. (22), Pereira (39), Jabbari (54), Ferdinand (75)



IDFL Premier League, Saturday 6th October 2012, Parmiters

A frustrating start to the season continued for the Harriers as a high flying St Francis side inflicted a second successive defeat on the Blues on a at Parmiters. The visitors created a hat full of chances in a high quality game which saw the hosts play more than just a supporting role.

The vistors came into the game with an impressive start to the season under their belts and looked the part as they caused the Harriers problems from the outset. Prestedge was involved in keeping the scores level in the opening quarter of an hour, smothering an one on one opportunity and pushing a volley over the bar. However the pressure from the visitors told before the 20 minute mark as the tricky left winger beat Prestedge with a close range shot from the angle. St Francis threatened to run away with the game when they took a two goal lead before the half hour mark. A long ball from the visiting keeper found the Harriers back line napping and the visiting striker was able to put away the chance at the second time of asking after Prestedge's initial save. However the Blues showed plenty of determination and found a lifeline before half time with an incisive move that ended with Jabbari feeding the ball across the box for Pereira to apply the finish.

The Blues came out the brighter side in second half buoyed by the goal before the break, showing more ambition going forward and making the visitors work harder for their chances. Chances fell to Jabbari and Pereira as they searched for an equaliser and the Blues were arguably on top for a 15 minute period at the start of second period. However the St Francis side displayed quality all over the pitch and were a constant threat, landing a decisive blow after 65 minute. A long throw into the Blues box saw the St Francis forward win the ball in the air with a flick on that Prestedge could only push into the top corner of the net, restoring the visitors two goal advantage. The hosts continued to compete and were kept at arms length despite a number of set pieces and a notable chance for Jabbari which drew a good save from the St Francis keeper. A under hit back pass from Peter Shawyer almost gifted the visitors a fourth late on but Prestedge foiled the chance to stop the striker adding gloss to the scoreline.

CHFC: Prestedge, Ferdinand, Diner, N.Shawyer(c), Denton, Peter Shawyer, Birchnall, Sparke-Reid, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Wright

Goals: Pereira (42)