Match Reports (League & Cup)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 19th April 2014, Parmiters



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 12th April 2014, Wanstead Flats

Starting XI: Prestedge, Birchnall(c), Peter Shawyer, Paul Shawyer, Ferdinandi, Daley, Sparke-Reid, Pereira, Jabbari, Stone

Subs: Wright, Denton

Goals: Stone (51), Ferdinandi (91)



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 22nd March 2014, Parmiters

The Harriers slipped deeper into relegation trouble as their run without a win extended to three games following a narrow defeat at the hands of AAH Romford.

A largely forgettable first half saw both teams head into the break goalless. However the second period promised more entertainment after a neat passing move early in the half lead to Paul Shawyer striking the left hand upright with the visitor's keeper beaten. Unfortunately for the hosts, Romford took the lead just after the hour mark. An unfortunate deflection saw the ball break into the path of the visitor's striker, the Romford forward carried the ball into the Harriers box before burying the ball into the far corner. The Harriers managed to find a reaction but were ultimately unable to find an equaliser, leaving themselves just three games to secure enough points to keep them in the division.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Wright, Peter Shawyer, Diner, Ferdinandi, Denton, Paul Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Jabbari, Pereira, Stone

Subs: Daley

Goals: Daley (37), O.G. (80)



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 15th March 2014, Leyton County Ground

The Harriers took a point away from their meeting with second place Trelawny at the Leyton County Ground, but should have taken all three had it not been for a awful decision by the match official. Leading 2-1 in the second half, a Pereira strike should have given the Blues a two goal cushion but was inexplicably ruled out by the referee, the hosts went on to equalise ten minutes later.

The home side started much the brighter, making full use of the width of the pitch whilst keeping good possession and operating with pace and aggression. In contrast the Blues looked sluggish early on and it was of little surprise when the hosts took a deserved lead after ten minutes, the Trelawny forward having enough time to collect a cross at the back post before slotting it home. However the Harriers were not behind for long, equalising against the run of play thanks to a moment of class from Nick Shawyer. The ball broke in the centre of the field on the half way line to the Blues all time leading scorer, noticing the hosts keeper off his line, Shawyer struck the ball first time and the ball sailed over the helpless keeper into the back of the net. The visitors performance did improve following Shawyer's strike, however they were flattered by the half time scoreline after Sparke-Reid's first goal of the season, a fine strike from the edge of the box, put the Harriers ahead at the break.

The game's major talking point came early in the second half after a neat passing move released Pereira, who ran in on goal before slotting past the Trelawny keeper at his near post which should have put the Blues 3-1 up. Instead of nestling in the back of the net, the ball escaped through a hole in the back of net and the Blues were dismayed to see the referee judge the ball to have gone wide of the near post. The Harriers were visibly affected by the awful decision and things got worse with 65 minutes gone, Diner failed to deal with a long punt down field and this lead to the Trelawny forward beating Nick Shawyer to the ball to lift the ball over Prestedge in the Harriers' goal. The hosts had the best chances break the dead lock in the closing stages, with Prestedge turning a close range left foot strike round the post in the final ten minutes to ensure the Blues took something away from a frustrating afternoon.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Daley, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Jabbari, Pereira, Stone

Subs: Ferdinandi, Wright, Denton



Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Daley, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Ferdinandi, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Stone

Goals: N.Shawyer (17), Sparke-Reid (35)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 8th March 2014, Flanders' Playing Fields

League leaders East Londoners secured maximum points in a comfortable home victory over the Harriers that brought to an end a four game league unbeaten run at Flanders' Playing Fields. The Blues never really looked likely to repeat the trick of a few weeks ago when they took a point off the runaway league leaders, but remain above the relegation zone having played more games than some of their closest rivals.

Early signs were ominous for the visitors, after giving the ball away in their own defensive third, East Londoners swept forward and should have taken an early lead but were unable to convert from a low driven cross from the left hand side. The Blues were more assured after this early mistake, with plenty of energy in midfield they managed to largely subdue the hosts obvious attacking talents, and could have even taken the lead had Ferdinandi's lob dropped under the bar and latching onto a flick on behind the East Londoner's defensive line. However the league leaders did take the lead after half an hour when Prestedge failed to hold a direct free kick and the Londoners' striker was first to react and put away the rebound, ultimately sending the Harriers in a goal down at the break.

The Blues introduced Daley for the start of the second half in an attempt to inject some extra impetus, but it was the hosts extending their lead just ten minutes after the restart. The Harriers were again guilty of giving the ball away in their own half and were this time emphatically punished as the Londoners' midfielder advanced towards the edge of the Blues' box, before striking from 25 yards and finding the inside of the post with a effort that was always bending out Prestedge's reach. Finding themselves two goals down, the Blues reshuffled their pack and pushed Nick Shawyer into midfield and this coincided with their best period of the game. Chances came and went for the Harriers, but they were unable to find a way back into the game. The hosts then added some extra gloss to the scoreline in the final five minutes, sweeping the ball home after Prestedge failed to collect a long throw.



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 1st March 2014, Clayhall Park

The Harriers grabbed a vital three points in this proverbial three pointer at Clayhall Park on a very poor surface. In a game that largely lacked any real quality, the Blues emerged with all three points thanks to a well executed chipped finish from Jabbari as the game entered the final ten minutes. The Harriers have now extended their league unbeaten run to four games and are in the best form of what has been a difficult season.

Despite a very heavy and uneven surface, the Blues were able to take control in the opening 15 minutes and looked much the better side as they took advantage in the centre of the park. However the Harriers were hit with an injury to central defender Alex Diner, one of the Blues' most consistent performers and last season's player of the year. The defensive reshuffle affected the Blues rhythm and the home side were soon finding themselves with more of the ball, with the hosts having joy down their left hand side. But the Harriers were able to deal relatively comfortably with the hosts long balls and created the stand out chance of the first half for Jabbari. Some neat interplay down the right saw Ferdinandi released and having drawn the keeper out of position, his cross found an unmarked Jabbari. However he did not get the desired connection on his header and the Glendale keeper did well to keep out the goal bound effort and recover to save the resulting follow up.

In the second period the game became stretched with the boggy surface accounting for some tired legs, which the hosts initially appeared to benefit from as they came forward more regularly and with greater purpose. However Prestedge remained largely untroubled in the Harriers goal and the Blues looked to target the hosts high defensive line on the break but were caught offside on too many occasions. The visitors eventually found the goal they had been threatening as the game entered the final ten minutes, Jabbari charged down an attempted clearance from the Glendale defender and chased down the loose ball and expertly chipped over the home keeper. The Blues held fast in the closing stages and despite the expected onslaught from the home side, they restricted Glendale to just half chances and saw out the game with their first clean sheet of the season.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Ferdinandi, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Baldock, Denton, Jabbari

Subs: Daley



Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Ferdinandi, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Denton, Stone, Jabbari

Subs: Wright

Goals: Jabbari (79)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 22nd February 2014, Parmiters

The Blues made their long delayed return to league action with an excellent performance that defied the form book, holding run away league leaders East Londoners to a 2-2 draw at Parmiters. The Harriers twice fell behind but showed plenty of determination to peg back the league's only unbeaten side on both occasions. The hosts eventually secured what could be an important point in their fight for Premier League survival with a 92nd minute Jabbari strike.

The Blues were forced to take to the field with only ten men and set up with two tight banks of four behind a lone striker in an attempt to deny the visitors space. East Londoners were allowed comfortable possession in their own half, with the Blues only pressing when the play entered their half. With everyone in a Blue shirt working hard, the league leaders found opportunities hard to create despite the obvious quality in the side. However with nearly 25 minutes gone the visitors found a break through when the Blues lost possession in their own defensive third, the Londoners' striker eventually pouncing on a loose ball in the box and finding the bottom corner with a scuffed shot. The Harriers were up to a full compliment of 11 shortly after the half hour mark and were then able to show more attacking intent, the best chance coming when Daley's shot from distance moved devilishly in the air but came back off the bar with the Londoners' keeper getting a vital touch.

The second half saw the Blues further build on the solid defensive base, denying the visitors clear cut opportunities and perhaps should have drawn level before the hour mark when Pereira had an opportunity to convert at the back post from a set piece. The Harriers were now looking the more dangerous team and again should have drawn level when substitute Stone hit the bar with an angled shot from close range. However Pereira did eventually draw the Blues level with a quarter of an hour remaining, latching onto a neat flick on from Stone and running free of his marker to crash the ball home with his weaker right foot. Unfortunately for the Blues, the league leaders re-established their lead in the 82nd minute with a shot from the edge of box taking a big deflection off Peter Shawyer and completely wrong footing Prestedge. But the Harriers were not to be denied a deserved point and with under thirty seconds remaining, Pereira delivered a free kick from the right channel. The ball fell to an unmarked Jabbari to run onto and strike home on the angle into the far corner and spark celebrations amongst the home faithful.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer , Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Daley, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Denton, Pereira, Jabbari

Subs: Stone

Goals: Pereira (76), Jabbari (92)

IDFL Fenton Cup 3rd Round, Saturday 14th December 2013, Parmiters

A severely under strength Blues team crashed out of the Fenton Cup at the hands of League Two leaders Lord Nelson in a bad tempered affair at Parmiters. Edwin Jabbari and Scott Prestedge both respectively made their 100th competitive appearance for the Harriers, the later playing as an emergency forward whilst Paul Shawyer senior filled the void in the Blues goal.

Proceedings got off to a terrible start for the hosts as they found themselves a goal down within five minutes, when an over hit cross drifted beyond Shawyer in the Harriers goal and into the top corner. Things quickly got worse and the Blues found themselves 3-0 within 25 minutes, a top draw strike from distance and a one on one giving a confident looking Lord Nelson side a three goal cushion. Despite the absence of a number of regular starters, the Blues still showed flashes of their quality with Daley's pace and trickery often the spark. Fortunately for the Blues they found a lifeline shortly before half time, a set piece into the Lord Nelson box led to the second ball falling to Jabbari to mark his 100th appearance with a smart finish from close range.

The Harriers came out in the second half with renewed belief and looked busier all over the pitch, but the impetus from the goal before half time was quickly snuffed out when the visitors bagged a fourth from another one on one situation. Some unsavoury scenes soon followed after a Lord Nelson player reacted angrily to a mistimed challenge from Paul Shawyer, the offending player was promptly shown a red card before a scuffle threatened to turn into a mass brawl. With the visitors reduced to ten men and the Blues suitably pumped up, the tide began to swing. Daley reduced the deficit to two with half an hour remaining after streaking down the left flank and hitting an angled shot from distance into the far corner. The Blues then found themselves with touching distance as they struck again ten minutes later through the most unlikely of sources. Nick Shawyer's run down the right lead to a teasing cross finding regular goalkeeper Prestedge arriving at the back post to convert from 8 yards with an acrobatic volley. However the Harriers' fightback was dealt a hammer blow soon after when Diner gave away a penalty, allowing the visitors to re-establish their two goal cushion. Despite the man advantage the Harriers were unable to break through the Lord Nelson rear guard in the closing staged and hopes of another cup final slipped away.



Starting XI: Paul Shawyer Snr, Birchnall(c) , Diner, N.Shawyer, Ferdinandi , Daley, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Jabbari, Pretedge, Stone

Goals: Jabbari (43), Daley (59), Prestedge (67)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 7th December 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers built on their draw with New Star Soccer by securing a vital three points in their battle against relegation, beating Melbourne Sport 3-1 at Parmiters. In a reverse of the fixture earlier in the season, the Blues climbed above their league rivals in the table thanks to goals from Nick Shawyer, Pereira and stand out performer Daley.

Despite starting proceedings in a lively fashion, the Blues soon found themselves on the back foot as the visitors displayed a greater ability to keep possession of the ball. However, solid defending from the Blues limited Melbourne's ability to create any chances of great note, with Prestedge only making a couple of regulation saves. Daley's pace looked to be an obvious threat for the Harriers, and they were denied a clear penalty when Daley was scythed down after bursting into the box. Five minutes later, Nick Shawyer was giving the Blues the lead from the spot after Daley was again hauled down in the area, this time cutting in along the byeline from the right wing. The visiting side levelled shortly before half time direct from a corner, the whipped delivery proving too high for Ferdinandi on the near post and Prestedge only able to palm into his own net.

The Harriers improved in the second period, keeping better possession and using the ball in more dangerous areas of the pitch, whilst Stone's introduction gave them more arial presence. The Blues retook the lead after the hour mark, Jabbari held up the ball on the half way line before playing a neat ball into the impressive Daley who burst beyond the Melbourne back line. He ran through on goal, brushing off the attentions of a covering defender before poking home past the visiting keeper. The Blues held firm against the inevitable late Melbourne onslaught, with the central defensive pairing of Diner and Nick Shawyer especially impressive. The points were sewn up in the dying minutes when Pereira broke away down the right wing, initially looking to take the ball into the corner. However, given the opportunity to cut in on his favoured left foot, he took the opportunity to whip in a cross come shot which beat the keeper at the near post to secure a 3-1 victory for the Blues.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Denton , Diner, N.Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Daley, Paul Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Ferdinandi , Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Stone

Goals: N.Shawyer (Pen 21), Daley (66), Pereira (88)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 23rd November 2013, Wanstead Flats, Capel Road

The Harriers were able to stop the rot by taking point from league debutants New Star Soccer, the second draw between the two teams this campaign. After a strike from the hosts in the opening quarter of an hour, the Blues were the better side for large parts of the game. Jabbari's late equaliser was almost the base for the Harriers to grab all three points, but they eventually had to settle for just the one.

The Blues were without a number of regular starters for this encounter, only fielding a bare eleven, but were able to welcome back Chris Amor after a period of absence. After an assured start from the Harriers they suffered a set back with fifteen minutes gone, as a set piece from the right wing evaded Stone at the near post and was clinically swept home by a New Star player. The personnel shortage saw Pereira play in an unfamiliar central midfield role, but looked more than assured when threading balls through to Stone and Daley. The stand out opportunity of the first period fell to Jabbari, blazing a half volley over in the aftermath of a set piece, whilst the Blues remained dangerous from Amor's long throw.

Despite a difficult playing surface, the Blues found greater fluidity in the second half, when they kept the ball on the floor the hosts could not deal with the Harriers' play. With the visitors committing more and more forward to find an equaliser, gaps began to appear in the centre of the park, allowing the hosts the opportunity to spring counter attacks on more than one occasion. Fine defending from Diner and Amor broke up dangerous situations which could have sealed the points, whilst Prestedge was called on to snuff out a couple of promising openings. Throughout the afternoon Daley looked like the player who could always provide a spark, his partnership with Peter Shawyer down the left a constant threat. With ten minutes remaining, a fine run and cross from Daley allowed Jabbari to head home his first goal of the season at the back post and get the Blues back on level terms. Despite late pressure the Harriers were unable to find a winner and both teams had to settle for a draw.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, Amor, Birchnall(c), Daley, Paul Shawyer, Pereira, Ferdinandi , Jabbari, Stone

Goals: Jabbari (80)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 16th November 2013, Hainult Recreation Ground



Starting XI: Prestedge, Paul Shawyer, Diner, Peter Shawyer, Wright, Daley, Birchnall(c), Sparke-Reid, Ferdinandi , Jabbari, Pereira,

Subs: Denton

Goals: Daley (35)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 9th November 2013, Parmiters

The Blues surrendered their unbeaten home record at Parmiters despite late drama which almost saw the hosts grab a last minute equaliser. The Harriers took a deserved 2-1 lead into the break before lapses in concentration costs the home side early in the second half, allowing the visitors to take control of the game from which the Blues were unable to fully recover from.

Despite a confident opening ten minutes for the Harriers, the visitors opened the scoring against the run of play with their first venture of note into the Blues half, converting clinically from a one on one opportunity. But the Harriers didn't let this affect their rhythm, quickly drawing level when Pereira converted after Daley's initial effort was blocked. The hosts then took control just before the half hour mark as Nick Shawyer met Daley's free kick with a glancing header to net his fourth goal of the season. The Blues kept the visitors at arms length for the remainder of the half as they struggled to create any more chances of note.

The visitors quickly turned the tables on the Blues early in the second half, netting three times in a fifteen minute period to establish a 4-2 lead. The Harriers re-gained some composure after the hour mark and pulled a goal back with 20 minutes remaining through Peter Shawyer's first goal of the season, converting from Ferdinandi's cut back. As the hosts upped the tempo in search of an equaliser, Trelawny appeared to strike a decisive blow, as the visiting skipper strolled through the Harrier's midfield and defence before rounding Prestedge and rolling the ball into the empty net with 10 minutes remaining. However the Blues refused to lay down and again reduced the deficit with just minutes remaining from a Diner header. The home side managed to carve out one on more chance before the final whistle, sending all 11 players into the Trelawny penalty box, but they were unable to net from the corner or the goal mouth scramble that followed.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Paul Shawyer, Diner, Peter Shawyer, Birchnall(c), Daley , N.Shawyer , Sparke-Reid, Ferdinandi , Denton, Pereira,

Subs: Jabbari, Wright

Goals: Pereira (15), N.Shawyer (29), Peter Shawyer (68), Diner (89)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 2nd November 2013, Fairlop Playing Fields

The Blues were unable to maintain any momentum following their first win of the season as they slumped to a 3-1 defeat against Melbourne Sports at Fairlop playing fields. With a two week break did nothing for the Blues consistency, they looked rusty, especially in the first half, with the hosts enjoying the lions share of possession through out. The Harriers did show a greater belief and urgency in the second half before a break away goal killed off any hopes of a fight back.

The hosts were easily the more assured side in the opening stages, whilst the Harriers struggled to build any sustained periods of pressure. Melbourne looked more comfortable on the ball and the Harriers were affording the home side too much time in wide areas, so it came as no surprise when Melbourne broke the deadlock from a cross into the Blues box. The Melbourne wide man was under no pressure as he delivered a ball into the box from the left, finding a team mate unmarked to convert from the edge of the six yard box with a nicely controlled side foot volley. The hosts were quick to double their lead and put themselves two goals to the good within twenty minutes, a top draw left foot strike from 20 yards cruised into the far corner with Prestedge a mere spectator in the Harriers goal. The Blues looked to consolidate their position before half time and looked more solid in defence but also failed to seriously trouble the Melbourne goal.

Stone's introduction at half time acted as a catalyst for the visitors, his ariel presence and runs into the channels giving the Blues a different dimension. The Blues found the lifeline they needed not long after the restart, with Nick Shawyer picking up the loose ball from a set piece and curling a lovely shot into the far corner from just inside the box. This gave the Harriers the impetus to create their first real sustained period of pressure as they got on the front foot. Stone twice went in bravely for 50/50s with the Melbourne keeper as he looked to convert opportunities, whilst a brilliant run and through ball from captain Birchnall released Daley who fired a rasping left foot drive wide of the post. With the Blues looking the more likely to add to their tally, the hosts landed a sucker punch with 20 minutes remaining, a quick break away down the left culminating in a cross into the middle which was eventually bundled into the net at the second time of asking. This took the sting out of the Harriers' play and the game effectively petered out in the closing stages as Melbourne kept possession to close out the result.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Birchnall(c), Peter Shawyer, Diner, Sparke-Reid, Jabbari , N.Shawyer , Paul Shawyer, Denton, Pereira, Daley

Subs: Stone, Ferdinandi

Goals: N.Shawyer (56)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 12th October 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers extended their league home unbeaten run with their first win of the season, running out comfortable 6-2 winners over Glendale who were playing their first league fixture of the season. Daley bagged his first goals for club, securing an impressive hat trick which helped the Blues see off a potential second half fight back from the visitors.

The hosts started in sluggish fashion, allowing the visitors to make the most of the early running, applying pressure through a number of set pieces and a useful long throw. However the Harriers soon began to turn the tables and eventually took the lead when Denton's goal bound shot from just inside the penalty area cannoned into the net off a Glendale defender. The Blues gave themselves some breathing space ten minutes before the break when some neat inter play between Pereira and Daley lead to the later unleashing a 20 yard bullet of a strike into the roof off the net, bagging his first goal for the club after being played through by his strike partner. Despite the visitors early pressure, the hosts went into the break with a comfortable 2-0 lead, Prestedge in the Harriers goal finding himself largely untroubled.

Glendale found a way back into the game early in the second half, a long throw was only half cleared and dropped perfectly into the path of the Glendale player to dispatch a sweet strike on the half volley into the net through a crowded penalty area. But the Blues re-established their two goal cushion soon after when Stone released Daley to run through and round the keeper to net his second of the afternoon. Glendale were able to reduce the deficit in similar circumstances, robbing Pereira of the ball on the right wing before delivering a dangerous cross into the box, Diner's clearance falling to a player in orange and black on the edge of box who found the bottom corner with a composed finish. The Harriers were again quick to crush any sniff of a Glendale fightback, Daley rounding off his hat-trick with another neatly taken one on one opportunity, Nick Shawyer the creator this time. The Blues went onto to add to their lead in the later stages of the game, with Pereira and Stone both netting, Pereira chalking up his sixth of the season. The visitors meanwhile were restricted to a number of half chances, the closest they came to adding to their tally a free kick which Prestedge palmed round the post.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Birchnall(c), Peter Shawyer, Diner, Wright, Jabbari , N.Shawyer , Paul Shawyer, Denton, Pereira, Daley

Subs: Stone

Goals: Denton (24), Daley (36, 54, 67), Pereira (71), Stone (82)

IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 5th October 2013, Wanstead Flats, Capel Road

The Blues disappointing start to the season continued after a poor defensive display handed Wanstead Hippos a comfortable victory at Wanstead Flats. Despite a number of periods of sustained possession and control, the Harriers failed to trouble the hosts often enough in the final third, leaving them still in search of their first win of the season.

It was a quiet start from both sides, whilst the Harriers were forced into an early change with Denton replacing the injured Amor. Much of the Blues' good work came down the left wing with Daley and Peter Shawyer causing the hosts defence problems. However the hosts took the lead against the run of play after a quarter of an hour, some poor positioning from Prestedge allowing the Hippos' player to stroke home easily from the edge of the box. The Hippos soon stretched their lead, lax defending from the Blues allowing the Hippos striker to collect a cut back before picking his spot and driving the ball into the far corner of the net. The Wanstead side looked to be well in control after 35 minutes, an excellent glancing header from a corner finding the net via the inside of the post. But the Harriers found some hope before the break after a good spell of pressure. Pereira escaped his marker down the right before cutting back on to his left foot to whip in a cross, his cross finding Nick Shawyer arriving in the box, confidently volleying home his second goal in as many games to reduce the deficit.

The Harriers carried the momentum of Shawyer's strike into the second half, pressing to find a second to turn up the heat on the hosts. However the Wanstead side struck before the hour mark leaving the Blues a mountain to climb, it was again poor defending that cost the Harriers. Birchnall allowed the Hippos striker to latch on to a simple lofted diagonal ball before dispatching a excellent strike into the bottom corner. With a comfortable lead, the hosts were happy to sit in and operate on the break, allowing the Harriers plenty of possession but defending well as the visitors looked for a way back into the game. The hosts even managed to add to their lead with time running out for the Blues, a break down the right eventually releasing the forward to beat Wright to the ball and stroke home past a helpless Prestedge.



Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Diner, Sparke-Reid, Birchnall(c), Daley, Amor, N.Shawyer , Paul Shawyer, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Denton, Wright

Goals: N.Shawyer (43)



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 28th September 2013, Parmiters

The Harriers bagged an impressive point against least season's Premier League runners up in an entertaining back and forth affair at Parmiters. A first half strike from Nick Shawyer gave the Blues a half time lead, but the visitors struck two quick fire goals in the second half to put the Blues on the back foot. Pereira continued his fine goal scoring form to draw the teams level before Amor put the Blues ahead, but St Francis found a late third to ensure both teams went aware with a hard fought point.

The Harriers were without key players Diner and Goodwin for this clash with St Francis, meaning the host took to the field with all three Shawyers lining up in the Blues defence. St Francis took little time to show off their title credentials, with some sharp passing and sustained periods of possession leading to a string of corners and set pieces. St Francis' main opening of note came after 25 minutes with Prestedge smothering a one on one opportunity. Not to be out done, the hosts defended resolutely and showed plenty of fine touches of their own in the build up, but looked short of that killer pass. However that changed in the 34th minute, some good work from Denton down the left resulted in a cross to Nick Shawyer at the back post who hooked the ball back past the St Francis keeper into the far corner. This gave the Blues a slender margin to defend and consolidate into the half time break.

The Blues had been poor in the final third for the majority of the first half, but looked more assured in the second half. However St Francis continued to carry the greater threat, Prestedge keeping the Harriers ahead by tipping a rising shot onto the angle of post and bar just before the hour mark. But the visitors didn't have to wait much longer to get back on level terms, a cross from the right finding an unmarked player in green and white to cooly convert on the volley. Minutes later the same player put the visitors in front, capitalising on sloppy play from Birchnall and Denton on the half way line before running through and slotting the ball into the net through Prestedge's legs. Instead of St Francis running riot, the Blues to their credit regrouped quickly and found an equaliser with 20 minutes remaining. Breaking from a St Francis set piece, Daley jinked his way past several players before bursting towards the half way line and releasing Pereira, the league's top scorer took the ball on before cooly slotting past the keeper for his fifth of the season. The Harriers had a shock win on their hands with ten minutes remaining when Pereira turned provider, crossing from the right for Amor to tap home. Unfortunately for the hosts, St Francis ensured they continued their unbeaten start to the season late on, a strong run down the left and cross found the striker free to smash home the equaliser and secure the draw before the final whistle.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Paul Shawyer, N.Shawyer , Birchnall(c), Daley, Amor, Sparke-Reid, Ferdinandi, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Denton, Wright

Goals: N.Shawyer (34), Pereira (70), Amor (78)



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 21st September 2013, Parmiters

A late headed goal denied the Blues all three points at Parmiters against league new boys New Star Soccer. Having lead 3-1 and 5-3 thanks to four goals from Pereira and a Diner header, the Harriers let the victory slip through their fingers late on, eventually settling for a point having been the better side for most of the game.

The hosts got off to a fast start, Nick Shawyer slipping the ball through the New Star back line for Pereira to collect and confidently slot past the helpless keeper. The Blues looked like adding to their lead every time they came forward, but were undone against the run of play with a lofted diagonal pass which released the striker to stroke past a retreating Prestedge in the Harriers goal. However this did little to break the Blues' stride, establishing and 3-1 lead as Pereira netted a perfect thirty minute hat trick, twice showing the hunger to react first to rebounds from Daley strikes. But the Harriers found themselves going into the break all square as New Star stepped up their game. Prestedge should have done better with a strike low to his left, before another diagonal ball released the New Star striker to fire home and level the scores just before half time.

The Harriers took back control of the game as the second half got under way and had their reward within ten minutes of the restart. Daley's purposeful run down the left lead to a cross across the box, evading Jabbari in the middle but finding Pereira at the back post to tuck away his fourth of the afternoon. The Blues looked to have the points secured with twenty minutes to go, Jabbari's corner finding Diner making an unmarked run to the front post and heading home the hosts fifth. But the visitors gained a lifeline with a quarter of an hour left when Diner's headed clearance fell kindly to the feet of a New Star player who applied a smart finish into the bottom left hand corner. This gave New Star renewed confidence and they piled on the pressure in the closing stages with a string of set pieces, eventually finding a reward with a powerful header from a corner just minutes before the final whistle.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, Diner , Birchnall(c), Amor, Goodwin, Paul Shawyer, Nick Shawyer, Daley, Pereira

Subs: Jabbari, Stone, Ferdinandi

Goals: Pereira (4,18,27,56), Diner (69)



IDFL Premier Division, Saturday 14th September 2013, Wanstead Flats, Capel Road

The Blues league season got off to a less than ideal start as they were comfortably beaten by Forest United on their return to the IDFL ranks. The former Olympian League side produced a slick and clinical opening half hour which saw them establish a four goal lead, leaving the Harriers a real mountain to climb.

The Blues in fact started brightly and could have taken an early lead but Jabbari was unable to get his shot away cleanly allowing the Forest keeper to make the save. After a fairly even opening, the hosts took the lead after 10 minutes with a powerful back post header after the ball was returned into the box following the initial corner. Forest were quick to add to their tally, Sparke-Reid's clearance from a long ball fell kindly into the path of arriving winger who gratefully converted, finding the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Moments after almost halving the deficit from a corner, the Harriers found them self three down as a lightning quick Forest break ended with the striker rounding Prestedge to slot home. With barely half an hour gone, the points appeared to be sewn up when another break saw the Forest striker cut the ball back for his waiting team mate to slot into an empty net. To the Blues credit, they continued to go about their business playing some tidy football. Not long after the Blues best move of the half saw Pereira put a right foot shot just wide of the right hand up right, they pulled a goal back as Nick Shawyer hooked a cross to his sibling Paul to head home.

The Harriers continued their recovery just minutes after the restart when Paul Shawyer's deflected cross wrong footed the Forest keeper who could only parry the ball into his own net. With a change in momentum evident, the visitors stepped up a gear and controlled large parts of the second period, with the home side happy to sit in and protect their lead. Daley, making his competitive debut for the Harriers, had the pick of the Blues second half chances. Released down the right, his cute chip over the advancing keeper gave him the chance to net the Blues third, but could only loft the ball over the bar with a Forest defender hurrying his effort. The hosts added some undeserved sheen to the scoreline late on when Nick Shawyer's mistimed challenge in the box resulted in a penalty, with the Forest number 10 confidently converting from the spot.

Starting XI: Prestedge, Peter Shawyer, Sparke-Reid, N.Shawyer , Denton, Daley, Birchnall(c), Paul Shawyer, Ferdinandi, Jabbari, Pereira

Subs: Amor, Wright

Goals: Paul Shawyer (41), O.G. (48)